For the fifth consecutive year, Japan’s passport remains the most powerful in the world, according to the Henley Passport Index of 2023 rankings. Citizens of Japan are now able to visit 193 countries visa-free, which means easy access to more than 85% of the world.
The new quarterly report published by London-based global citizenship and residence advisory firm Henley & Partners uses exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) to rank the world’s 199 passports.
The ranking is based on the number of destinations their holders can access without a visa. If no visa is required, the country scores 1 point for its passport. This applies if citizens can obtain a visa on arrival, a visitor's permit or an electronic travel authority (ETA) when entering the destination.
On top of the list is Japan (193 destinations), followed by Singapore and South Korea (192 destinations) in second place. Germany and Spain are tied at third place (190 destinations), followed by Finland, Italy, Luxembourg in fourth place (189 destinations). A total of four countries were tied at fifth place: Austria, Denmark, Netherlands and Sweden (188 destinations). Then France, Ireland, Portugal and the United Kingdom round out the top six (187 destinations).
1. Japan (193 destinations)
2. Singapore, South Korea (192 destinations)
3. Germany, Spain (190 destinations)
4. Finland, Italy, Luxembourg (189 destinations)
5. Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden (188 destinations)
6. France, Ireland, Portugal, United Kingdom (187 destinations)
7. Belgium, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, United States, Czech Republic (186 destinations)
8. Australia, Canada, Greece, Malta (185 destinations)
9. Hungary, Poland (184 destinations)
10. Lithuania, Slovakia (183 destinations)
On the contrary, Afghan citizens sit at the bottom of the index once again, with passport holders only able to visit 27 destinations without requiring a visa.
102. North Korea (40 destinations)
103. Nepal, Palestinian territory (38 destinations)
104. Somalia (35 destinations)
105. Yemen (34 destinations)
106. Pakistan (32 destinations)
107. Syria (30 destinations)
108. Iraq (29 destinations)
109. Afghanistan (27 destinations)
For more information, visit henleyglobal.com.